An ABC type fire extinguisher should be kept in your kitchen, laundry, workshop, garage, and the top of the basement stairwell (at least one on each level of your home).
Inspect fire extinguishers
Properly maintained fire extinguishers can be used to contain a small fire thereby keeping damage to a minimum.
Timing: October (yearly)
Fire extinguisher inspections include:
- Check pressure gauge to ensure a full charge.
- Check that the nozzle isn’t clogged by insects debris, etc.
- Shake the extinguisher so that chemicals do not become packed.
- Check that hanger is securely fastened and that everyone knows the location.
- Make sure all fire extinguishers are accessible and not buried under other items.
Note: Do not discharge the extinguisher to test if it is working, as this will empty the unit.
The cost of this task is very low. It is estimated that this task should only take about 30 minutes to complete, and the task is relatively easy to do. No specialized tools are required.
Originally posted at http://www.petermuehlbronner.home-wizard.com/idea/ABC-fire-extinguisher