Keep fire extinguishers in a visible location that is high on a wall out of reach of children. They should be near an exit, and away from heat sources.
Inspect fire extinguishers
Properly maintained fire extinguishers can be used to contain a small fire thereby keeping damage to a minimum.
Timing: October (yearly)
Fire extinguisher inspections include:
- Check pressure gauge to ensure a full charge.
- Check that the nozzle isn’t clogged by insects debris, etc.
- Shake the extinguisher so that chemicals do not become packed.
- Check that hanger is securely fastened and that everyone knows the location.
- Make sure all fire extinguishers are accessible and not buried under other items.
Note: Do not discharge the extinguisher to test if it is working, as this will empty the unit.
The benefits of this task are relatively high. Doing this task helps to ensure that your extinguishers will work properly in a fire emergency.
The cost of this task is very low. It is estimated that this task should only take about 30 minutes to complete, and the task is relatively easy to do. No specialized tools are required.
Originally posted at http://www.petermuehlbronner.home-wizard.com/tip/tip_fire-extinguisher-wall